- a vital, powerful, concise and unambiguous form of communication which represents, explains and uses a symbolic system with written, spoken and visual aspects
- a way of thinking which encourages learners to observe, reflect and reason logically about problems which affect them
- a tool which assists in solving common problems and in communicating ideas.
Numeracy is an ability to cope mathematically with the demands of everyday life. Numerate and literate persons in mathematics are those who can appropriate mathematics as a tool to guide their reasoning, help them to solve problems in their everyday lives, communicate and justify their ideas, as well as to understand the ideas of others.
Mathematics involves observing, representing and investigating patterns and relationships in social and physical phenomena and between mathematical objects themselves.
- allows students to develop competency in mathematical skills and processes
- engages students in practical activities to enrich their development of concepts and skills
- assists students to be creative, intuitive and inquisitive
- challenges students and gives pleasure and enjoyment and a sense of achievement whatever the student's level of mathematical competence
- allows students to reflect upon, and discuss, what they have learnt in mathematics to facilitate their future learning and the transfer of knowledge, processes and skills
- recognises and values diversity of approach and different methods of solution provided by students
- enables students to develop their understanding of the real world from a mathematical perspective
- values part solutions and risk-taking
- provides opportunities for students to practise their informal mathematical language and thus develop and be able to use formal mathematical language appropriately.
- enables students to appreciate the importance and usefulness of mathematics in many other areas of learning
Mathematics at ADHS
Mathematics at ADHS is studied by all students in Years 7 to 10. Classes are formed according to the demonstrated ability level of students in their study and understanding of Mathematics.