I would like to extend a warm welcome and thank you for taking the time to learn more about Alfred Deakin High School by viewing our website.
Alfred Deakin is a highly regarded ACT Public School and is committed to the development of all individuals through a broad range of flexible and dynamic learning experiences. The school values of Excellence, Responsibility, Community and Respect are evident across the whole school and it is clear that they underpin all that we do. At Alfred Deakin, excellence is everywhere and students and staff have respect, and take responsibility for learning in a safe and inclusive environment.
Whilst the school has a history of academic rigour and strong results, we pride ourself on developing the whole child. With a strong focus on pastoral care and wellbeing, we remain steadfast in ensuring the academic, social and emotional growth of every student within our school – educating students to be caring and engaged global citizens.
Alfred Deakin is a vibrant and innovative school with a diverse and inclusive community. We welcome International Private Students and have a strong sister school relationship with a school in Japan. A richly multicultural school, the Alfred Deakin community takes great pride in the warm, inclusive culture that is evident across the school - one that celebrates differences and centres around belonging and connectedness.
Alfred Deakin High School offers a rich and flexible curriculum that is tailored for individual student needs. We have highly trained staff who are specialists in their field offering a broad range of programs. These include:
● Languages - French, Japanese, Italian and Indonesian (as well as other online languages) are taught by experienced language staff.
● Science, Maths, English and Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) are taught in streamed classes based on student performance, giftedness and need for literacy and numeracy support.
● Physical Education, Sport and Outdoor Education provide all students with more than 150 minutes of physical exercise each week at the highest standards.
● The Visual Arts including film production, textiles & fashion, art and ceramics as well as the Performing Arts spanning subjects including music (orchestra and strings program), drama and dance.
● Technology & IT provide hands on learning in STEM, animation, programming, woodwork, metalwork, electronics, hospitality, food studies, CAD and jewellery.
● International students and English as an Additional Dialect (EALD).
● Students with diverse learning needs supported through our highly resourced eStudy.
● Gifted and Talented program for students in English, Maths, Science and HaSS.
● Year 9 & 10 Boys (PANTHERS) and Girls (ELEMENTS) programs
● Students requiring additional literacy, numeracy or organisational support are supported through our targeted Study Lines.
Leadership opportunities include:
○ Student Executive Group (SEG) with representations from all Tutor Groups in the school.
○ Disability Awareness Program (DAP) in conjunction with Woden School
○ Youth Leaders
○ House Captains