Hello and welcome, I am David Briggs, Principal of Alfred Deakin High School (ADHS). Our school prides itself on being a place where excellence is everywhere, students and staff have respect, and take responsibility for, learning in a safe and inclusive environment and our work with the community is strong. Our school is focussed on the future and encourages all students to bring their own device (BYOD) to support flexible and dynamic learning.
ADHS is a busy school of 900 students and we offer a wealth of opportunity to engage in academic pursuits, inter-school sport, artistic endeavours and community focussed activities. We have a rich and flexible curriculum that is tailored for individual student need by teachers of excellence.
- Fun languages - French, Japanese, Italian and Indonesian (as well as other online languages) are taught by experienced language staff.
- Science, Maths, English and Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) are taught in streamed classes based on student performance, giftedness and need for literacy and numeracy support.
- Physical Education, Sport and Outdoor Education provide all students with more than 150 minutes of physical exercise each week at the highest standards.
- The Visual Arts -film production, textiles & fashion, art, ceramics - and the Performing Arts such as music (orchestra and strings program), drama and dance are a real strength.
- Technology & IT provide hands on learning in animation, programming, woodwork, metalwork, electronics, hospitality, food studies, CAD and jewellery.
Students have opportunities to engage in additional learning activities - in 2017 to Italy and France and in 2018 to Japan. Bi-annual excursions are offered to the Top End, Tasmania and the Gold Coast and a myriad of local curriculum connected excursions are also provided.
- International students and English as an Additional Dialect (EALD).
- Students with diverse learning needs supported through our highly resourced eStudy.
- Gifted and Talented program for students in English, Maths, Science and HaSS.
- Year 9 & 10 Boys (PANTHERS) and Girls (ELEMENTS) programs
- Students requiring additional literacy, numeracy or organisational support are supported through our excellent Gryphon Program.
- Leadership opportunities include:
- Student Executive Group (SEG) with representations from all Tutor Groups in the school.
- Disability Awareness Program (DAP) in conjunction with Woden School
- Youth Leaders
- House Captains
Please come to Enrolment Information Night. We would love to see you, to show you just how great it is to be part of the Alfred Deakin High School community.