Hello and welcome, I am Belinda Bartlett, Principal of Alfred Deakin High School (ADHS). Our school prides itself on being a place where excellence is everywhere, students and staff have respect, and take responsibility for, learning in a safe and inclusive environment and our work with the community is strong. Our school is focussed on the future and encourages all students to bring their own device (BYOD) to support flexible and dynamic learning.
ADHS is a busy school of 800 students and we offer a wealth of opportunity to engage in academic pursuits, inter-school sport, artistic endeavours and community focussed activities. We have a rich and flexible curriculum that is tailored for individual student need by teachers of excellence.
- Fun languages - French, Japanese, Italian and Indonesian (as well as other online languages) are taught by experienced language staff.
- Science, Maths, English and Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) are taught in streamed classes based on student performance, giftedness and need for literacy and numeracy support.
- Physical Education, Sport and Outdoor Education provide all students with more than 150 minutes of physical exercise each week at the highest standards.
- The Visual Arts -film production, textiles & fashion, art, ceramics - and the Performing Arts such as music (orchestra and strings program), drama and dance are a real strength.
- Technology & IT provide hands on learning in animation, programming, woodwork, metalwork, electronics, hospitality, food studies, CAD and jewellery.
We achieve outstanding academic results - evidenced through the national academic competitions, Tournament of the Minds and NAPLAN to name a few. We are a multicultural school with 41 different nationalities, where 18% of our students were born outside of Australia and more than 13% of our students speak another language at home. We welcome International Private Students and have strong sister school relationships in three countries - Japan, China and Indonesia.
Students have opportunities to engage in additional learning activities - in 2013 to Cambodia, New York and Italy, in 2014 to Japan and in 2015 to Italy and France. Bi-annual excursions are offered to the Top End, Tasmania and the Gold Coast and a myriad of local curriculum connected excursions are also provided.
We have specialised programs for:
- International students and English as an Additional Dialect (E-Study).
- Students with special needs supported through our highly resourced Learning Support Centre
- Gifted and Talented program for students in English, Maths, Science and HaSS.
- Year 9 & 10 Boys (PANTHERS) and Girls (ELEMENTS) programs
- Students requiring additional literacy, numeracy or organisational support
- Leadership opportunities include
- Student Representative Council (SRC)
- Disability Awareness Program (DAP) in conjunction with Woden School
- Youth Leaders
- House Captains
Browse through this website and check out the different programs. Our school is full of happy and creative young people doing all sorts of innovative, exciting and challenging programs.
Please come to Open Night. We would love to see you, to show you just how great it is to be part of the Alfred Deakin High School community.